Translate

Friday, September 16, 2011

Food Challenge Update (Chicken and Peas Tagine)

During the week, I'm usually in a rush to cook anything and usually I look at what I have in the fridge for inspiration for my dishes.  As we are trying to encourage our 3 year old to eat more vegetables, I felt that doing a dish using peas (in the freezer) and chicken (also in the freezer) was the way to go.  Looking online, I ran across this fantastic recipe for Tangine that happened to include ingredients of which I already had 90% of at home.  Most importantly, it gave me a chance to finally use some Saffron in a way that wasn't for a Paella or any ordinary rice dish.


Cooking the dish itself was pretty fun.  As I didn't have an actual Tangine pot, nor did I want to buy one at this time, I just used a Dutch Oven.  While I'm sure, the actual end result was probably different had I actually used a Tangine to make this, the end result was pretty tasty.  What made this particular dish interesting was that I never put my burner higher then the 1st setting and just left it there for 2 hours.  The low heat extracted so much flavor from what amounts to 5 ingredients and 7 spices.


With regards to the food challenge, this is where it stands:

  1. Cardamom
  2. All Spice
  3. Cloves
  4. Almond Extract
  5. Pumpkin Spice
  6. Garam Masala
  7. Vanilla Beans
  8. Saffron
  9. Nutmeg
  10. Ground Mustard
  11. Turmeric
  12. Coriander
  13. Sage
  14. Thyme
  15. Celery Seed
  16. Tarragon
  17. Cumin
I still got a lot of work.....

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment