Translate

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Favorite Food Movie: Tampopo

Some weeks are busier than others.  This is one of those weeks where a lot of things are happening at the same time and I barely have time to think about new things to cook or foods to explore.  Still, I don't want to leave the 1 or 2 of you who read this blog without material from me so I decided to share my favorite foodie movie of all time:  Tampopo

Released in 1985, this movie is about one woman's quest to make understand the nuances of making ramen after being told by a passing truck driver that her noodles are terrible and takes her on an adventure of personal and culinary discovery.  What I like about this movie is that it is very quirky and unapologetic about it's feelings on food and foodies alike.  Right from the beginning we are invited in on a conversation between a "master" and a "student" talking about how to approach a bowl of ramen correctly thereby maximizing the eating experience.



As the movie goes along we meet a lot of interesting characters and the camera becomes us in this journey and a few times will move from the main character and change physical directions in the middle of a scene to follow a complete stranger just because they seem to be more interesting at the time.  If you've ever seen someone running and wondered where they were off to, this movie tries to answer those types of questions.

From a foodie standpoint, this is also where I learned about established my love of Omurice.  This particular scene in the movie spoke to me when I first saw it and really illustrates how even the simplest of foods can be viewed as the finest haute cuisine depending on your point of view.


Despite having been released over 25 years ago, I still really love this movie.  If you love food and have some time, put this on your Netflix list and give it a lookie-loo.  If my description still doesn't entice you, how about the fact that the film score are excerpts from Mahler's 1st and 3rd Symphony? 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment