Translate

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What's for Dinner? (Chicken and Pea Curry)

You never know when a recipe will present itself and just speak to you.  Being a foodie on many levels, I tend to look for food opportunities from various sources.  I'll go to new restaurants when it pops up.  I search for food blogs through Google based on what I'm craving that week.  I watch all Food Network programming like it's speaking directly to me.  For today, my recipe comes from an unlikely sources...Manga.

Some of you know that I still read comics as well as manga.  What makes manga great is that you can pretty much find a story based on any topic that you might be interested in.  Recently, I've been reading Addicted to Curry which is pretty self explanatory.  Basically a chef helps an old friend's daughter run a curry shop that is on it's last legs.  Because said chef is a curry savant, everything he makes is amazing.  What's nice about this manga is that at the end of every few chapters, they will include the recipes of whatever curries have been discussed.  I decided to try to try the Chicken and Pea Curry to see if the recipes have any merit. 

I followed the recipe as written, which also provided the bonus of letting me use Turmeric which is a spice listed on my Food Challenge.


My Spice Mix


Mix to carmelized onions


Add to chicken, peas, carrots, and broth


Voila!!

Overall, it's a little spicy and a not as savory as I would have liked.  The recipe called for 4 cups of water and eventhough I knew I should have substitued half of that with chicken stock, I stuck with the original measurements.  The only modification I made was to add about 3/4C of corn starch slurry to thicken the mixture.  If you like more soupy Indian style curry then just forego the corn starch.  

If you already have the spices, this is extremely easy to make.  I think the whole process from cutting the chicken to putting it in a bowl to eat took about 40 minutes.  If anyone makes this, let me know what you think.  It is probably too spicy for my 3 year old but hopefully my wife likes it.  If anyone wants the modified recipe, just leave a message in the comments.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment